In this book (with a forward by Robert Moog), the author offers a comprehensive history of the Theremin (a space-control electronic musical instrument) and its inventor Leon Theremin (1895-1993). This history/biography is framed by the socio-political and cultural climate in Russia during the 20th century.
Table of contents:
- Soviet Power Plus Electrification
- The Greatest Musical Wonder of Our Time
- Capitalism Plus Electrification
- A Theremin in Every Home
- The Ether Wave Salon
- Alarms, Magic Mirrors, and the Ethereal Suspension
- “I Leon Theremin...”
- Yowsah, Yowsah!
- On the Yausa: Screws, Politicals, and Radio Street
- Free Music: New Waves on the Home Front
- Mailboxes and the Invisible Man 12 In the Vanguard: Perfume, Sci-Fi, and Hobbyists
- A One-Room Flat and the Microstructure of Time